Here are seven home repairs that will keep your home safe and operable.
To keep your home safe and functional, there are certain repairs you’ll want to make:
1. Caulking. Caulk keeps water from getting to places where it can cause damage, like in your bathtubs and showers and around windows and doors. Check your home’s caulking regularly to avoid wood rot and other damages that can be costly to fix.
2. Painting. Paint can also keep water intrusion from damaging your house; it’s the home’s first line of defense from the sun and weather.
3. Dryer vents. I found out the hard way after replacing my dryer that all I needed to do was unclog the dryer vent. Once I did, the unit worked beautifully. Dirty and clogged dryer vents are also a fire hazard, so be sure to clean yours out periodically.
4. Roof repairs. Many roofers say that shingles can be rated for 30 years in Florida, but we’ve discovered that because of the intense sunshine and frequent storms we have here, most roofs last between 15 and 18 years. Be sure to have your roof checked by a licensed professional each season; if they find storm damage, many insurance companies will pay for repairs or even the replacement of your roof.
5. Pests. We don’t have to get into the unsavory details, but just know that pests are not only health hazards but can also be very costly to combat if not taken care of immediately.
6. Plumbing leaks. Leaks should be resolved immediately. If they’re not, the water could facilitate mold growth, drywall damage, and wood rot.
7. Drainage problems. These sorts of problems can occur because of clogged gutters or downspouts. If your yard grades toward your house, that can cause water to stand around your home’s foundation and cause structural damage over time.
If you have any questions about these repairs or need recommendations for vendors to help you take care of them, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I’d love to hear from you.