Preparing your home for sale properly is key to getting top dollar. Here are a few expert tips to get you there more quickly.
Your home has always been your sanctuary and your own personal space. When a for sale sign hits the yard, however, agents and buyers are going to want to come through and take a closer look at the property. Here are a few ways to make sure your home is prepared for showings at all times:
1. Start packing now. Remove any and all clutter that you can live without so that the home shows more cleanly and there is plenty of space.
2. Store it, sell it, chuck it, or donate it. Get a storage space and put those things that you can live without in there. Sell, donate, or just throw other items out that you won’t need in your new home to make more space in your current home. The mind records things subconsciously and the more space you have, the more buyers will react positively to that space.
3. Get the house squeaky clean. Aim for five-star hotel cleanliness when getting your home ready. A squeaky-clean house can bring $5,000 to $10,000 more when selling. Aim for the stars.
4. Maintain your privacy and safety. Make sure the agent you hire is using an electronically-monitored lockbox. This helps us know who is coming and going when your house is being shown. Also, make sure to put away any valuable belongings during showings.
5. Involve your kids in the process. Make a game of them cleaning up their toys and their room. Make it a contest and offer the winner a prize, which you will get when your home is cleaner and sells for more money.
Moving is never easy, but hopefully these tips make the process much easier for you. If you have any questions for me in the meantime, don’t hesitate to give me a call or send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you soon.